Wednesday 16 December 2009

Remakes, Rehashes, and... something else beginning with R.

I really do hate mainstream Hollywood. I HATE IT. In the past 10 years, Hollywood cinema, in my opinion, has become bloated, lazy and tiresome. Everything is just a retread of something else, everything is bounced off the back of something else's success, and it's annoying.

But something has REALLY pissed me off recently, and that is the insistence of Studios remaking foreign-language films. Does it need to be done? No. People can read subtitles!
I guess it really took off with the success of The Ring, the remake of the film Ringu. It was alright, but not a patch on the original. And BAM, Studios worked out that remakes of unknown foreign horrors make money. Why? Because mainstream studio audiences haven't heard of them! So in recent years, there has been a steady stream of shoddily made, poor-quality "remakes" of foreign films.

I don't have a problem with companies remaking films, per se, but some of the best films I've seen in recent times have been foreign language movies, especially The Orphanage and Let The Right One In. Both are currently in production for remakes, and I just don't get why rather than snapping up distribution rights and shoving them out there for audiences to see, companies instead insist on remaking them. Surely it would be better for mainsteam audiences to experience foreign-language films, and perhaps gain an interest in wider cinema.
Another one that stands out to me is when they remade [•REC] into Quarantine. I've watched both, and they're pretty much the same damn movie, dialogue and shot-wise. What is the point in spending all that money remaking it, when they could just buy the distribution rights, release it and make an even bigger profit. Both the audience and the companies lose out!

Pretty much what I am saying is there is no need to remake foreign-language films into English. Just sub them, or at worst, dub them across. Studios should give audiences the opportunity to experience foreign-language film and enjoy it how it is meant to be seen, in its original form.

I think the Director of The Orphanage summed it up pretty well when asked about them remaking his film... "The Americans have all the money in the world but can't do anything, while we can do whatever we want but don't have the money... The American industry doesn't take chances, that's why they make remakes of movies that were already big hits"

An additional point on dubbing films - As much as I hate it, it gets the film across in pretty much it's original form to the audience, which is good. However, I still will not pay to see it because quite frankly, dubs are generally pretty bad (Even the John Lasseter Directed ones on Studio Ghibli films), and I much prefer the original audio with subtitles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well put, my friend.

Also, if Let Me In is in any way molested whatsoever, I will advance on Hollywood with flaming pitchforks.